Sunday 4 October 2015

Marsaxlokk

This village with a tongue twisting name is on the south coast. The guide warned that it would be difficult to get to on a Sunday as the Maltese have family seafood lunches there. But I was determined to have a go. The warning seemed to be true, every bus to Valletta terminal was packed. I resigned myself to crossing by ferry and spending a Sunday in Valletta, or perhaps the Three Cities. But once in Valletta I thought, why not see if I can get onto a Masaxlokk bus. In fact I scored an express service. Never give up prematurely.

There is a bric-a-brac market and all the restaurants by the harbour offer seafood menus. Lots of people were seated and eating.

The fishing boats are traditionally colourfully painted, to the delight of photographers.

I walked the length of the waterfront and finally settled on this restaurant near the church.

I asked for the aljotta and spaghetti mare. The aljotta was even better than the previous one; even though the portion was small, it was full of flavour. The spaghetti was also excellent.


Back in Valletta I explored the Upper Barrakka Gardens. These cannons are fired at certain times. The need for the timekeeping function is long gone but the ceremony has been preserved.


Spotting a queue at the Amorino geleteria, I decided to join. It was worth the wait, their gelati were very smooth.


And this is what I bought, caffè and nocciola. Very artfully scooped to look like a flower with petals.

No comments:

Post a Comment